Thursday, September 30, 2010

I wish I were as funny as Simon Doonan

I don’t know how or why this brilliant list became a footnote to another (brilliant) piece, but you’d think Monsieur Doonan was a bona fide Parisian with his astute observations.

French Ladies Don't Know Squat

• Frenchwomen are so fabulous that they can smoke loads of Gitanes without getting bad breath or brown teeth
• Frenchwomen can eat croissants without getting crumbs on their cashmere cardigan, or worrying about cholesterol, or becoming hideously obese
• Frenchwomen always take off one accessory before leaving the house
• Frenchwomen understand how to keep their men happy in special, secret Frenchy ways, which sometimes involve black lingerie
• Frenchwomen can tie an Hermès scarf on their heads and not end up looking Kurdish (not that there’s anything wrong with looking Kurdish)
• Frenchwomen put lavender in their panty drawers
• Frenchwomen are so bloody perfect and superior, it’s annoying
• Frenchwomen are full of chic!

How many times did he make you laugh?

5 comments:

  1. Just read the link. "Say no to ho." LOL. One should always choose class over ass. Class is timeless. Ass doesn't age so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wanders off muttering 'I put lavender in my panty drawer!' - replaced every year from the plants in my garden.

    But the rest made me laugh

    Eli
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bit about the Hermes scarf made me laugh out loud.
    I laughed a few times :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are brilliant. I want to try to emulate being a Frenchwoman!! So true on all counts and the funnier for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another desperate attempt to analyse the French woman's 'je ne sait quoi' IMHO
    I say give it up.
    Nobody knows how they do it and they're not going to find out either unless born under the tri-color flag from day one.
    You can try to marry into it and still get it terribly wrong.
    Bon chance

    ReplyDelete