Tuesday, September 28, 2010

French word of the day: recommencer

Def: to begin again

This morning I started French lessons again. Man, do I need them. It’s been five months since I’ve studied a lick of grammar or vocab (except the occasional word learned from Elle. Like “se pare”, which means to be decked out, which is actually a cool word to know).

I trip over my dinner orders. I stutter through introductions. I stumble when trying to communicate my most basic needs. And I dread when I have an evening of French conversation ahead of me.

This is not healthy behavior. It’s no way to live in a foreign country. And it sure isn’t conducive to party banter.

Donc, je recommence mes lecons et j’espere que j’apprends beaucoup et vite.

4 comments:

  1. Courage -- ça prend du temps, mais il vaut le coup.

    La Mom
    An American Mom in Paris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courage ! I'm so happy I don't need to learn French !!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muy Bien ! I totally understand and need to do the same.
    My menu Español is pretty good, I can joke with a taxi driver or waiter and sometimes have a limited conversation with a stranger .. but stilted and stumbling speech drives me crazy .. my own, not someone else.
    I chatter, I jabber, I need to talk .. so unless I continue the way it is now, the husband will be deaf , the dog will run away from me and no one will have a clue what I am going on about.
    Bonne chance with the lessons ! You can teach me when we visit/move to Paris ... tiny little laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete