Sunday, May 16, 2010

Back from Portugal

It was week of adventure and fun; new sights, tastes and customs (god, I love traveling). Lisbon is a place of magnificent, magical and mysterious beauty, which made for a fun trip for me and Alison.

It was also a week of uncertainty and spontaneity. Between flight interruptions, grace à Eyjafjallajokul and crummy weather, we had to adapt our plans from time to time.

Which meant I got a day of solo explorations last Sunday as Alison was stuck, first at JFK, and then at Heathrow. I spent an afternoon getting to know the city’s hills and tiny streets…



…its omnipresent tile and color…


…the traversed destinations and its personal side.




…and many of its charms, whether they were breathtaking or decrepit (often both).



When I returned with Alison, the exploration continued, first at Saint George’s castle, one the city’s best-known landmarks. We climbed up to catch great views of the city...


...along with its 25th of April Bridge, which, of course, reminded me of the Golden Gate.


Yup, that’s us!

We trekked through the narrow streets of the Alfama...


...enjoying the old-timers…



…and the stereotypical Portuguese cheesiness.


We got fitted for gloves (like buttah) at the fabulous Luvaria Ulisses


…ate our fair share of Pastéis de natas (some at the famous Pastéis de Belem)

and soaked it all up.

Would I go back? Absolutely. Though I think I’d revisit the Algarve first.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! What an AMAZING Trip!! thanks for the photos and descriptions!! Made a girl dream of distant shores....

    ReplyDelete