Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Opéra de Paris

You have one night in Paris. Ten euros in your pocket. Do you go to a UCG or the GO?

A-ha! Trick question because ten euros won’t even buy you a movie ticket at UCG. But for 10 euros, you can be seated in the premier loges at the absolutely exquisite Opera Garnier. C’est fou, non?


Okay, granted, it’s not exactly easy to get tickets for the ballet or opera. But Mel and I snagged tickets for a mellow chamber music performance: Beethoven, Glinka and Rossini.

The music? It was nice. Beautiful. Would I have enjoyed a jazz trio in the lobby of the Ritz just as much? Probably so. But that’s not the point.

The point is, you get dressed up, you go to this enchanting landmark an hour before your performance starts, and you buy un coup de champagne (for which you’ll need another 11 euros, but it’s money well spent, especially since they’re posh enough to serve it in proper stemware).

Then you take in the beauty.


The marble friezes and statues...

...the interweaving corridors and hidden alcoves...


...the landings that are perfect perches for people watching.



Velvet red, gold leaf and waaah?? Marc Chagall?


If you’re lucky enough, you have a friend who will dork out in awe and wonder just as much as you.

7 comments:

  1. Great post, enjoyed the photos, do you know when it was built?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous! I felt like I had a bit of a night out myself -- just looking at your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ! dear...

    vous buvez un " coup de de rouge " dans un bistrot mais à l' Opéra, ce sera unE coupE de champagne !

    à la bonne vôtre !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! How did you snag the tickets?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merci, mes amis!

    Country Mum, it took 13 years to build: from 1862 to 1875.

    Janet, I've learned how big a difference "un" et "une" can make when ordering, so thanks for the correction!

    Vero, I went to the box office for the tickets. For a small concert like we saw, it was easy. But I was sadly out of luck for La Dame aux Camilias and Faust.

    In any case, I can't recommend the experience enough! C'etait fantastique!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merci Amy :)

    Je vais aller a paris la prochaine week-end so I will try to go!

    I love your blog. I've been following it for over half a year now :) I sound like a stalker don't I? :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the exact same shot of that chandelier with me... :-)

    ReplyDelete