Saturday, July 10, 2010

Friday night

Gotta change things up. I hate to say it, but I’ve been bored these past couple of months. As much as I love my City of Light and Dark Chocolate, it can be a little staid. Granted, it’s also been me. Aside from overeating and watching the World Cup, I have been doing little else except working.

So with the lovely summer weather has come beaucoup motivation to do something! Explore! Get on that Velib again and figure out what this town has to offer (besides cakes and macarons and Anglophone eats)!

Last night was a good example of the rewards and delights to be discovered. Jo, Olivier, Sarah, Michael and I decided to head to Batofar—one of, what we discovered, were many riverfront cafes and restaurants that attract a mix of Parisians and suburbanites (with just a titch of riff raff to keep things interesting).

We kicked back in innertube “chairs” before dinner, happy as clams to be outside in the setting sun.


And after dinner (rotisserie chicken with maybe the best potatoes I’ve eaten in my life), Michael regaled us with his crazy stories, as he’s wont to do.

The gang split up around midnight, with Michael and I hopping on Veibs to head to Curio Parlor.

But first, we made a pit-stop to watch the tango dancers.



Too cool to see the dancers moving en masse, with the glimmering river in the background. (See?? This city does have cool stuff to offer, Amy…)

Curio Parlor offered delicious cocktails and a tres gay fashion crowd; music and flirtation and suddenly it was 3 a.m.

But wait! Before truly calling it a night, we popped into a fabulously happening bar in the Marais. I didn’t take names or photos, but I am too excited to go back. After a night of such unusual and intriguing discoveries, Paris is mine again.

7 comments:

  1. I almost thought this post was going to be about evening rollerblading, which my fiance's mother told me they do in Paris. I like how you spent the night. Looks like and sounds like you had a blast.

    Keep exploring, sometimes the best things are right around the corner. Don't be bored : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful... (she sighs with the slightest bit of envy) ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just a passer by. To tell you the truth I don't even know how I stumbled on to this blog, but I couldn't resist commenting. I hope you don't mind.

    Regarding your feeling a little bored in Paris, my f-i-l told me years ago that life is daily. I have lived in some of the most exciting cities in the world, NYC, Rome, Paris, Washington, DC, and some smaller, but no less wonderful places like Aix-en-Provence, Florence, and Siena. And you know what I found out? Life is daily. After the newness wears off, you realize that you are doing the same thing, going to work, school, grocery shopping, housecleaning, trips to a favorite spot where you sit and have a glass of wine and watch the sun go down. But I would rather have a daily life in Paris than in Washington, D.C, for example. I still, almost every day, say to myself with a big smile on my face "I can't believe I live in Paris."

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like an amazing time you had! :D I especially love the pictures of the tango dancers, with the water shimmering as you said :) ...The last picture you took reminded me of Renoir paintings when I saw it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like loads of fun!
    Very jealous...
    NYC is not so exciting IMHO :(
    No tango and tire sitting around this town...
    Stay put.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beaneysue, I love the expression. It's so true: Life is daily. Live each day to its fullest, even if it's just a day, puttering around the apartment. Each day is a gift.

    Cynthia, we didnt' see any rollerbladers, but there was a posse of bicyclists on these tricked out bikes that was very entertaining...

    shirenes & PB, it was indeed fun. I will soak it up awhile longer. :)

    ReplyDelete