Friday, July 16, 2010

First love

Picture this: a skinny, dorky 11-year-old, coming out of being a misfit in elementary school, finally finding some acceptance upon entering junior high. With two other elementary schools merging with mine, finally, I wasn’t the new girl any more. There were people who didn’t ridicule me, who liked me. I finally fit in (sorta).

And there were new boys to admire. Including Jeremy, one of the most popular kids from Niantic Center. He was also super skinny, but super cute and all the girls liked him. He played football but was sort of new wave preppy. He had golden skin and crystal blue eyes. He drew me pictures of frogs and leopards standing in for Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth, singing Jump. He knew how to flirt.

He “asked me out” on a Wednesday and gave me one of his football jerseys. As a declaration of our status and an early indication of my nostalgic ways, I wore his football jersey every Wednesday. Every Wednesday of sixth grade.

The relationship didn’t last the school year, but our love did. 26 years later, we—along with his equally incredible wife, Tiffany—got to spend two nights in Paris, drinking wine, overstuffing ourselves, reminiscing and laughing.

One of my favorite things about Jeremy is his lust for life and his heightened awareness of how lucky he is, how good his life is. More than money or a big house or a worn-out passport or 48-inch TV, it is this simple awareness and gratitude that will make you happy.

Love you, Jerem.

9 comments:

  1. I love Paris too..just found you .very cool:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. how very touching !
    We should all have a Jeremy or two in our lives .
    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me teary. You are a beautiful writer and a beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wish i could remember details like that from my childhood and make them sound as beautiful as you do! from one skinny, dorky 11-year-old to another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a sweet blog :D I loved traveling with you down memory lane, and how relaxing and enjoyable your reunion with Jeremy must have been! Plus I love the picture you put up, you two look so happy (plus the restaurant/food looks amazing)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer (Moeser) DienerJuly 28, 2010 at 2:04 PM

    I fondly remember that 'skinny, dorky 11-year-old'..good memories from the good ole days. And although I remember the 'thing' with Jeremy, I don't remember the Wednesday shirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol - hi Jen! I have fond memories of our neigbhorhood bike rides, Mad Libs/newscaster sessions, our 'relationships' with John Taylor and Nick Rhodes and many others, too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww yes, so many great memories! And don't forget our Odd-Jobs Club! I have our folder out in a box in my garage...I might have to bring it in and scan a few pages and send them to you. I see from a recent post that you are Stateside....I hope you are enjoying NYC!! Duh, of course you are! xoxo

    ReplyDelete