Sunday, November 7, 2010

A very Parisian birthday

How does one celebrate a birthday in Paris? A relatively insignificant birthday, but one that falls on the best day of the week?

I spent my morning at home, puttering and writing. Then it was off to Versailles and the Trianon Palace with Rach and Deanna. The royal treatment beckoned!

We had actually planned to see the Takashi Murakami exhibition a few weeks back. I know and like Murakami mostly through his work with Vuitton but I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’m not a huge fan, but his cheeky sculptures were actually quite perfect at Versailles.


Both he and the chateau are so outrageous in their own ways, the juxtaposition really worked.



That’s us, documenting our presence in the Hall of Mirrors...

...before indulging in one last splash of happiness…


…and stepping out into the rain.

From one royal setting to another, we arrived at the Trianon Palace, where the Rolls Royces were lined up… for my arrival?

I thought maybe it was a very special party, just for me. But alas, the $250k cars were someone else’s guests.

The tea was still rich enough.

Chocolate mousse, vanilla macaron, English scone, sugar-glazed gingerbread and a very special red mystery orb in the middle, filled with creamy praline and passionfruit.



The best part was when Rach whipped out a birthday candle, turning tea into an instant party. (Thanks, Rach!)

A little respite back at home before dinner with the girls.

What can I say? It was perfect.

Okay, the food could have been better, but it was a perfect party of four.

Goofy. Laidback. Warm and wonderful.

And just before the clock struck midnight?



Cake! Sparklers! A good omen for the year ahead!

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful ! Good Friends, Chocolate and Paris ...
    Happy Birthday !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Amy!:) I hope that the coming year will be filled with fun things for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great celebration! Thanks for sharing it with us -- and thanks for all those "splashes of happiness" too. Happy Birthday -- belated albeit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyeux anniversaire!

    I came to Paris in September to celebrate my May birthday. Now I am visiting you in Paris (via cyberspace) to send you birthday wishes.

    I wish I could be there to celebrate my birthday all year long and into the New Year.

    Wishing you wonderful times in Paris and for always, wherever you may be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merci, mes amis! Thank YOU for sharing my celebration. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last photo says it all! Such unabashed joy! Wishing you loads more in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. those tea trays are rich looking indeed!
    most inviting


    Mimi
    paris city tours

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful birthday weekend! I'm happy to read that you were celebrated in the decadent fashion you deserve. And did I mention you look fabulous darling, absolutely FABULOUS! Love the photo with you and sparkler candle.

    Love you much,
    xo
    Connie & Nina

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW WOW WOW!
    What fun!!
    I LOVE Murakami - there was a terrific show at the Brooklyn museum two years ago.
    Though I bet there was no Louis Vuiton shop at Versailles like in Brooklyn...
    Where did you have that terrific tea?
    miam-miam
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting juxtaposition there with that Murakami stuff. I feel like it turns Versailles into Howl's Moving Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday, Amy! Looks like you had a spectacular day! Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just stumbled upon your blog, happy belated birthday. I am a fan of Murakame and a fan of yours. I am so glad NYC treated you well.
    X David, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merci, David! Merci, Kim! Et Willim, Mimi, Connie & dear Nina! xo

    ReplyDelete