Saturday, March 19, 2011

Art in New York

I’ve been dreadful when it comes to blogging about my New York life. (I guess it feels like TMI; when I blogged in Paris, it was about sharing all these delights and senses; here, back home, it’s just me and my reality. It feels more gratuitous and, frankly, weird to reveal too much. But I think that’s a whole other post to ponder.).

That said, I am excited about everything I’ve been doing since I’ve been back. I’ve gone over to Brooklyn a couple times (falling deeper in love). I’ve had fancy cocktails (Bemelmans Bar and Hotel Delmano, topping the list). Nice dinners (oh, Vinegar Hill House). I’ve seen great movies (my favorite so far was Public Speaking, a documentary on Fran Leibowitz). I’ve been reading up a storm. I’m back at the gym, doing yoga and taking walks. I’m indulging in sweets. I’ve been to the ballet and several concerts. And I’ve seen some great art.

The first show was Edward Hopper at the Whitney.


I love a good exhibition at the Whitney because you’re in, you’re out, you’re sated and inspired. And the great thing about this last visit was going for Hopper, one of my all-time favorites, and stumbling into a couple other fantastic exhibitions: the creepy-genius Charles Ledray and the Whitney’s own unearthing of Singular Visions.

Then there was Herbert Katzman at the Museum of the City of New York. Brilliant, this museum is! A whole museum devoted to Manhattan and its history and artists. Katzman was obsessed with the Brooklyn Bridge, the downtown Manhattan skyline and especially the city’s waterways.


He painted the same views from the mid-fifties nearly until his death in ’04. It was a wonderful collection, and, similar to the Whitney, there were a handful of other great exhibitions to explore.

Most recently, I got to the opening of one my most favorite young artists, Isca Greenfield-Sanders, at Haunch of Venison.



I kick myself for not having bought one of her prints for $1000 a few years ago the same way I kick myself for not having invested in Netflix when it was $15 a share. Her paintings are soft, colorful and nostalgic… dreamy. And they cost about $50,000.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I do love that last print with the bather and dog.
    I like the moody NY painting with the light on the water ..
    Hopper isn't bad either :)

    My son has been apartment hunting in Brooklyn .. now he has ventured to another borough and getting interested .. he wants the shortest commute.
    His commute now is hideous.
    Are you considering moving to Brooklyn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful things to immerse yourself in.

    I, on the other hand, returned from Paris to the middle of Southern Minnesota. Cornfields and cows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey at least you're not writing about sitting at home in front of the tv eating potato chips! We're still interested in all the neat things you're doing in your city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sound's like life hasn't been to shabby since la rentrée! Good for you for taking advantage of NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowwww. I need to check these museums out! I'm glad that you're enjoying new york, even though it's not as magical as Paris, I think the reality of this city is really inspiring too, no?

    I also love Brooklyn! I actually just went to the Brooklyn museum last week to see the Norman Rockwell exhibit. I think you'd like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oui, oui, it's been great fun getting reacquainted with NYC. It'll be even better once spring and then summer are here.

    Candice et Helen, I am still considering BK. I love it there. For now, I'm contenting myself with visits for food, cocktails and other explorations. Maybe autumn will bring the move...

    ReplyDelete