Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tuesday night at 10

Have you ever been doing something so utterly mindless and banal like washing your dinner dishes from the past two nights when you looked out the window to see a gigantic yellow full moon, just hanging in the sky there, above the little chimney tops, despite the fact that it was too late for the moon to be hanging that low?

And then you turned your head 90 degrees and saw Sacre Coeur all lit up and magic-y on the big hill in the distance, and you thought to yourself, so this is it? This is life? Is it not all so surreal and bizarre how we end up where we end up, whether it’s what and where we dreamed for ourselves our entire lives, or something so completely and amazingly unexpected, or something that even feels preordained?

And then the moon disappeared behind some clouds as it knew it always would and you thought, so this is really life, then? Or is it just the red wine talking?

4 comments:

  1. was walking from the 9th to Le Trianon and saw the most beautiful moon and North Star. Of course I only had my 'little' camera. Started filming and got lots of comments from the surrounding bars (and then I managed to delete it!)

    Beauty visits us at unexpected moments and Sacre Coeur seems to appear in a lot of them - from the misty morning view from place de clichy to the view from a hotel in the 9th's window to the first sight from the eurostar when I know I am nearly back in Paris.

    Have a great week - looks like the weather will be good until I arrive on Saturday!!

    Eli
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember coming to Paris for the first time and walking on Boulevard Haussmann at dusk towards République and glancing left, there it was - Sacre Coeur in all its ivory glory.
    Thank you for your beautiful posts, you have a wonderful soul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci to you both - you just made my night. :)

    Eli, what's on your weekend agenda?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy - its a flying visit. I arrive at 12.45, will leave my suitcase at the hotel and go and have a very large lunch and shop a little.

    In the evening its 'Romeo et Juliette' - as one of my fav singers is in it (and he is only in it the 5-7 hence the unplanned trip!).

    Sunday I will wander up to Sacre Coeur as my train home isn't until 2.15pm. Personally I prefer NDDP, but the area around Sacre Coeur is nearer.

    Back the following weekend for a proper trip. Hopefully a bunch of us are meeting for lunch at Chartiers on Saturday (English, Irish, Parisienne, friends from Avignon and Spanish/French friend). Food isn't Michelin starred but it is an experience! And the waiters are so cute!!

    Eli
    x

    ReplyDelete