Tuesday, March 30, 2010

French word of the day: zapper

Def: to channel-hop

I liked this word immediately; it somehow conjures the fun of channel surfing… Zap! Zap! Zap!

But what makes it even better is that it’s so much more innocent than I ever thought.

I live around the corner from rue Saint-Denis: sex store central. In all the grimy store windows, they happily announce “Zapping 2 euros”. Zapping?! Qu’est-ce c’est? All I know is that it sounds pretty kinky and I imagined it was, kinky, and left it at that. Now I realize it’s just harmless channel-surfing my friends! Two euros for a whole world of channels to explore!

7 comments:

  1. I think I saw that shop the other day in paris, down the road from moulin rouge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vous avez de la chance! Vous habitez à Paris! Canard chanceux! (Lucky Duck)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya but how long of channel zapping for 2 euros?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for answering that. I took a picture yesterday of a sign and nobody knew.

    ReplyDelete