Monday, September 5, 2011

A day neither here nor there

…and yet I was all over the place today.

Chalk it up to my being in a jet-lagged, comatose state after having not slept Saturday night, and then lying awake from 2 to 6 am last night (thank god I took your advice and got Ruth Reichl’s Garlic and Sapphires to read – I couldn’t have lasted the long night without it!). Or that it was Monday and that half the city is closed on Monday. Or that it was the first day of la rentrée. Whatever it was, I couldn’t get my groove today. It was still a good day, just a neither here nor there day.

It started with coffee and un pain chocolat. But don’t get jealous. The pain au chocolat wasn't any good.

Then I put on mon casque, hopped on a Velib (hel-lo, you), and took off. I was in the sixth arrondissement…

…I crossed over le Pont des Arts to the second and the first…

And when I had to admit I wasn’t going to find the sandwich I was looking for (Cojean, you better have le poulet Casear next week!), I walked back to the Left Bank through le Place de la Concorde.


It looks and feels very much like fall in Paris. Leaves are scattered on the ground, and the air is crisp, bright and cool.

I saw Carine Roitfeld outside the Crillon, but I wasn’t so crass as to snap her photo, even though she looked hot.

But later in the day when I saw the media camping outside DSK’s fancy Marais apartment (le chien returned to Paris just the other day), I did take a picture.

La Maison de la Chasse Nature, a museum that's been on my list for eons and I thought was finally going to get to see today, was closed, as were three other spots on my list. So I decided to call it quits and get ready for mon amie’s birthday party. And when I arrived, finally, it felt like I had my groove back.

Great food and wine. Lovely, fun friends. An adorable Parisian apartment.



Life should be so good.

7 comments:

  1. An ending like that would make the worst Murphy's Law day better.

    I'd rather have a not very good pain au chocolat in Pairs than anywhere else in the world...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither here, nor there; but still Paris
    *heavy sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that when one is in Paris, neither Here nor There would matter :) as long as you are in Paris ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. To see new images of Paris is fantastic! Thank you for sharing your visit with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tragedy that is a disappointing pain au chocolat cannot be underestimated :) What a lovely way to end the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Parisian philosophies are so true. And you're right - it was the perfect way to end the day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will right away snatch your rss feed as I can not to find your
    email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service.
    Do you've any? Kindly allow me understand in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

    My weblog: facebook for sex

    ReplyDelete