Sunday, January 17, 2010

French phrase of the day: un gros matin

Def: To sleep in late

The literal translation is “a fat morning”, which I rather like. Almost as much as I like sleeping in late.

I ended up never leaving the apartment yesterday afternoon. I really wanted to get outside and do some exploring but the rain wouldn’t let up so I stayed inside the treehouse. I was worried that I’d never be able to fall asleep since I didn’t do anything all day. But, au contraire, I was fighting to stay awake at 8:30. By 10pm, I threw in the towel and went to bed. And then slept until 9 o’clock this morning. Eleven hours of sleep!? Who does that anymore? It was amazing.

3 comments:

  1. ne serait-ce pas plutôt "une grasse matinée" ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's correct to say "faire la grasse matinée"

    have fun in Paris ;)

    ReplyDelete