Monday, November 7, 2011

My Vegan Mondays

I did my Vegan Monday today but rather than bore you with the soy milk, roasted broccoli and couscous salad details, I will wax poetic about my meal at Blue Hill at Stone Barns yesterday.

I’ve wanted to go to Stone Barns forever. Different friends have been over the years and I knew it was a special place and experience. The whole premise of Dan Barber’s restaurant is that they grow and raise all the food that’s served there right on the farm—ye olde farm-to-table principle.

From turkeys and lambs…


…to herbs and veggies…


There’s also a market and casual café to score delicious goods, as well as a children’s camp and educational center.

And after all the years of yearning and hype, what can I say? The place did not disappoint.

It was a glorious autumn day, with pretty foliage brightening up the rolling hills and pastures.


I was with two of my best friends in the whole world. We drank wine in the middle of the afternoon. I was a happy girl.

The meal started with a flurry of playful amuses bouche.

Including beet burgers with shots of “V-9”…


… salisfy encrusted with sesame seeds…

… yukon potatoes with crispy sage, and a wee radish that you dragged through a decadent salted butter.


The first course was a lovely beet salad with mache, arugula, radish and greek yogurt….

…followed by a pistou soup holding a crusted egg.

The girls were treated to pork, while I got chicken.


And can we talk about how insanely delicious the bread and butter was??

(Yes, we must because it was some of the best bread of my life...)

Au finale, dessert: a perfect apple tart with ginger ice cream. My favorite course of the meal.

Though my birthday cake did steal the show and make my day.


If all food was grown and produced as it is at Blue Hill at Stone Barns, I wouldn't have to do Vegan Mondays.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday !!
    That cake looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This meal makes Paris pale I think. Hope your birthday was just as wonderful.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooow, everything looks delicious! I can't believe how many different little courses there were. Love that tiny beet burger :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous! We are going to a really cool place in Maine in December: saltwaterfarm.com
    So many things to try! xo

    ReplyDelete