Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What was I waiting for?

How come I've never read any of of Ruth Reichl's books before? How come, after all the years of hearing her name spoken in respectful worship, while knowing who she was, never actually picked up one of her books?

By chance, I bought Comfort Me with Apples on Friday night. I couldn't put it down all weekend (well, I could, but only to eat). I just finished it. It's the first book I've read in eons that I simply didn't want to end. When I came to the last page, I then savored the acknowledgements, flipped to the title page, read the back cover, and even went through the reader's guide questions (who ever does that?!)

A little late to the game perhaps, but I now get it. I join the ranks of respectful worshipers. I'm also in love with Ruth Reichl. Just read this:

The hot-pink soup was dotted with lacy green leaves of cilantro, like little bursts of breeze behind the heat. Small puffs of fried tofu, as insubstantial as clouds, floated in the liquid. I took another spoonful of soup and tasted citrus, as if lemons had once gone gliding through and left their ghosts behind.

Holy cow, that woman can write. Tender at the Bone, you're next.

8 comments:

  1. Amy, you're not the only one late to the party.
    I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read Ruth Reichl; but I am now inspired. Please check out my blog Just The Ctust @ www.justthecrust.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm REALLY late to the game then! Adding it to my long list of must-reads! That description is just as captivating as Ann Mah's in "Kitchen Chinese" - amazing how much food words on a page can make you hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being from the UK I hadn't heard of Ruth before my US friend introduced me to her books. Do go back and read her first book Garlic and Sapphires - it is my personal fav of hers and details how she grew up and came to be in the business in the first place. The others of course are very good also! Enjoy
    Clare
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garlic and Sapphires is MY personal favorite as well. I adore her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had "Garlic and Sapphire's" on my book shelf for several years. Your post has inspired me to pick it up and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ruth Reichl .. I always missed her after she left the NYT ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Ruth Reichel when I was in a book club a few years ago. Gorgeous stuff. Gorgeous. Made me constantly hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sighhhhh I love her! I love following her twitter. Who knew tweets could be so delicious and articulate and insightful?! I must read one of her books - I'm amazed I haven't yet!

    ReplyDelete