Saturday, September 29, 2012

An amusing interlude

Everyone's going to Paris. Two good friends, two current colleagues, plus a couple of ex-colleagues, have all in recent weeks asked for pointers and recommendations as they plan trips, for work or pleasure, to the great City of Light and Dark Chocolate. It's fun to imagine their adventures.

One of my friends, the fun and fabulous Melody, was just there for a photo shoot and relayed a classic story. She went to Brasserie Lipp with her client. The client asked for a menu in English. The waiter looks at the woman, pauses, and says "never" and walks away and literally never returns. 

Such ridiculous behavior, but so deliciously French!

8 comments:

  1. oh I want to go back to Paris!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious, but at the same time, it would seem completely ridiculous for a French woman to come to New York and ask for a menu in French... but we never think about it that way.

    Milsters

    (http://littlepiecesoflight.blogspot.fr)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, so true, I am reading your book now every morning on the way to work... yes in Paris, and it's all I can do not to rush right off the train and find one of your listed places to try one of their sweets. Thanks for an enjoying read!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing my amusement. And the masochistic allure of Paris. And, Tama, thanks for reading Paris, My Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm amazed that Brasserie Lipp didn't already have English menus armed and ready for the crowd they're likely to get....! Amusing and yet not at all shocking :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that sooo funny .. I don't know a lot of French but I try very hard when it comes to menus, it is all part of the fun.. and if you are stuck they do help you.

    I found your link on Paris Breakfasts... I love her blog and I love Paris.

    ReplyDelete