Saturday, September 5, 2009

You can take the girl out of Paris...

One week later, I am in New York. Buffalo, to be exact. I spent the week in NYC, acclimating, visiting friends, running around, eating bagels, and trying not to notice the noise and the dirt. It's odd being back - at turns exciting, dreadful, tear-jerking and alienating. (Or maybe it was just the jet lag.)

But I can't escape Paris. I've seen three movies in the past week (love it), two of which - The September Issue and Julie & Julia - have Paris in them. What is it about that city?? I get so choked up when I see it. It has such a strange hold over me.

It reminds me of just about a year ago when Mr. B and I saw Man on Wire. I got teary-eyed with the aerial views of Notre Dame and the pretty streets, and I thought to myself: God, I love Paris.

Imagine—at the time, I had no idea this was going to happen to me. I had no idea I was going to be offered a job and moved across the Atlantic. Now that I'm in New York, I can't help but wonder what's going to happen when I go back to Paris. How things will be different, what my perspective will be, what sort of roller coaster of emotions I'm going to be treated to.

No matter. For now, it's time to enjoy being here. I have another week filled with family time, dates with friends, movies and shopping and more cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment