Monday, April 6, 2015

Picnic in Provence

Elizabeth Bard. I can’t decide if she’s my idol or maybe my lucky talisman.

Years and years ago, before Paris ever happened, but after I had started a book proposal (then a guide to New York’s best sweets), I heard about Elizabeth’s book, Lunch in Paris. Then I met this guy at a New York house party, who would go on to be one of my best friends in Paris, who just so happened to be subletting his Canal Saint-Martin apartment from this American journalist/author… Elizabeth Bard. I took that to be my first omen.

Within a year, I was living in Paris, Lunch in Paris long since devoured and revered. My book proposal had evolved to include Paris and eventually I got to meet Elizabeth at one of her readings. As smart and stylish as expected, I was surprised to hear she was leaving Paris to head south to Provence.

In the years since, I’ve modestly kept up with Elizabeth’s life via Facebook and her blog. I (no doubt like all her other fans) wondered if and when the follow-up book would come. And then this past fall, I heard from Elizabeth: would I be interested in reading an advance copy of her sequel, Picnic in Provence?

It was perfect: on maternity leave, bonding with my little Sweet in PJs on the couch, while reading Elizabeth’s travails and triumphs in parenthood. For she had not only given birth to an adorable boy, but she and her husband, Gwendal, started a new business: an ice cream shop! In Provence! Yes, this is her life.

It’s a very thoughtful and thought-provoking account of parenthood. Many of us have certain visions of what it will be like to have a baby. The reality can be quite different, and Elizabeth unflinching, beautifully captures the struggles. She is tender and tough. She is real and honest. And she is so endearing throughout it all.

Beyond parenthood, Picnic in Provence is a fantastic journey through the south of France, an inspiration about following your heart and, of course, a delicious book about love, family and acclimation, complete with killer recipes. Anyone who read Lunch in Paris will love the change of scenery, the deeper story line and the new chapter of Elizabeth’s sweet life.


  1. mmmm.... i need to get the book just to figure out what those yummy looking apricots are. As I write, I am in Eze, cote d'azur, setting up an apartment and a new stage in my life, I'm sure I'll gain a lot from reading about her experiences. Merci.

  2. I read Lunch in Paris and loved it! Looking forward to Picnic in Provence! It's on my summer reading list.

  3. Between Picnic in Provence and emails from my friend who moved to Nice last year, I am gonna be in big trouble ! You know me, I read about it, I move there. :)

  4. Excited for this. Purchased for my (long) plane ride home tomorrow. Will try to pretend I am lunching in Provence (for 21 hours...)

  5. This is a terrific blog, I discovered your weblog browsing google for a related subject and arrived to this. I couldnt discover to much different information on this piece, so it
    religious tour in india

  6. I was just searching to see if you had written a second book yet, and here I find out about Elizabeth's Bard second book, already ordered for my library! I can't wait to get my hands on it! Thanks for the tip.

    Although, I'm still wondering when you will have another Paris book out again?

  7. You'll all love the book - Elizabeth's path through life is pretty enviable to say the least!

    Nari, thank you for checking. :) I am working on a new book proposal, but have to admit it's taking an eternity. If I do manage another book, it probably won't be for awhile. But I'm hopeful!

  8. i'm so love this part, " Within a year, I was living in Paris, Lunch in Paris long since devoured and revered. My book proposal had evolved to include Paris and eventually I got to meet Elizabeth at one of her readings."
    Good luck and keep writing amy ;)

  9. Nice Post, Thanks for your very useful information... I will bookmark for next reference.

  10. I was about to say something on this topic. But now i can see that everything on this topic is very amazing and mind blowing, so i have nothing to say here. I am just going through all the topics and being appreciated. Thanks for sharing.