Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Out of left field

I arrived back in Paris last night around 11 (more on the fun, fun, fun trip later) and had my French lesson at 8:30 this morning. I knew I was setting myself up for a long day. But within the first 30 minutes of work I had three surprises.

The first was seeing an old boss from the New York office. I knew he was coming to town, but thought it was later in the month. This was a nice surprise—he’s a great person on the personal front and a strong leader on the professional. I’ll be seeing a lot of him over the next month or two, which is cool.

The reasons why he is here bring up surprises two and three.

Right before I left last week, I found out we have a pretty significant new business pitch coming up. I found out this morning that it’s in three weeks. Merde. Not a lot of time. Surprise number two.

And the third surprise? My boss is leaving. The guy who brought me over to Paris, as fate would have it, is moving to New York. Holy merde.

This totally took me off guard. I don’t think this is going to impact my position here. The little we talked, it seems as though I’ll be able to easily renew my contract before it’s set to expire in September. But, wow. Not even an hour into the workday and already my summer is taking a new direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment