Saturday, June 28, 2014

It. Was. Amazing.

I’m not exactly the girl who’s dreamed about her wedding her entire life. As much as I love going to weddings, I never took mental notes for when my day arrived. I never knew if such a day would arrive. But I did figure that if I were to get married, the celebration wouldn’t be in a church or at a hotel. They just don’t feel right; aren’t who I am. The one thing I’ve always believed about weddings is that they should be very personal and reflect all that is important to you, as you gather all your loved ones around you.

So that is what Andrew and I did: we approached things simply and sought out a spot—the New Museum—that we loved as a couple and that we knew our out-of-town guests would also love. We created a ceremony that replaced religion with what’s most meaningful to us: family. And we let good food, booze and music do the rest of the work.

All in all, it was a weekend of overwhelming emotion, celebration and bliss.

We had our parents and siblings give speeches as the foundation of our ceremony, and they were the most incredible words ever spoken. My best friend gave an amazing opening speech and Andrew’s brother officiated. Andrew and I wrote our own vows to each other. Grown men cried.

Friends flew in from San Francisco, LA, Denver and Chicago. Family trekked from CT, Maine and Kansas City. There were mini lobster rolls and KC barbecue sliders. Beet salad and rhubarb galettes. Birthday and Father’s Day cakes from Momofuku. There was a full moon and fireworks shooting up from Chinatown. We danced to Blondie, Spandau Ballet, Rihanna and Jay-Z.

Of course not every detail and plan was flawless. But even with imperfections, it was perfect. Never have I felt so loved, so touched or so thrilled. So happy to be exactly where I am in my life.

Thank you for all of your notes, cheers and well wishes. (And hopefully more pictures will come soon!)

15 comments:

  1. You. Look. AMAZING! So so happy for you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Amy, thank you so much for sharing the Wedding!! I was hoping you would! You look beautiful in your gown, gorgeous setting too, for a wonderful time and such an occasion. Warm wishes to you both. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!! Aren't weddings amazing? The fact that every single person that's important to you took a weekend out of their life to come and witness your vows.. I am always humbled that. In this frenzied, modern, every minute counts world your friends and family pause to watch your moment and celebrate your love. It's such a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merci, Mardi, Flora and Joanna - thanks so much! It's true, the whole experience was a real gift - such an amazing experience. Looking forward to living each day with the same love and excitement! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and thank you for sharing! You look beautiful, and I love that you chose a black gown instead of the traditional color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! And here I thought your having lived in Paris was the ultimate dream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! You guys looked so happy!:) The bride was lovely with her tiny pregnant tum:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wonderful! My fiancé Zack and I actually have decided to get our wedding cake from Milk as well, all thanks to you. Congratulations and many happy returns!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So thrilled. Congratulations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful evening -- love your dress and your happy smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Thank you all so much. It really was a happy night and the start of a whole new dream. I feel compelled to point out that my dress (and Andrew's suit) was navy, not black - for some reason, that makes me happier. Ha.

    Cat, I love that you're getting a Momofuku wedding cake! Just FYI: we ordered two 14" (birthday) cakes, and they were HUGE (and a big hit)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice blog,, i'm very enjoyed to visit this site. have a nice day :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Amy! I've been following your blog on and off for the past four years and I have to say you are truly an amazing person. I remember reading the post you wrote on whether to go on a dating show and now you are pregnant and married! I wish you, Andrew, and your beautiful daughter the very best.

    Warm regards,
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omigoodness, Rosie - that is so funny! Even I had forgotten that. Thank you for your kind words and for sharing this whole adventure! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nazre Karam Mujh Par Itna Na Kar,
    Ki Teri Mohabbat Ke Liye Baagi Ho Jaaun, …. Play Bazaar Mujhe Itna Na Pila Ishq-E-Jaam Ki, Satta King Main Ishq Ke Jahar Ka Aadi Ho Jaaun.

    ReplyDelete