Monday, December 17, 2012

My Vegan Mondays

It's been an unabashed couple weeks of eating, on the heels of a gluttonous couple of months. This weekend, I started trying to clean up my act (am I hedging there? Just a little bit?). I got a Whole Foods salad. Eschewed hot cocoa. Got the ingredients to start making green juices again. And went to yoga this morning. Bit by bit, I'm balancing my hedonistic desires with my healthy desires (along with my wheat belly, ich). Bit by bit, I'll get there. It's almost a new year, after all.

Morning
Coffee with almond milk (I switched it up from soy milk... but I think I prefer the soy)
Green juice (kale, green apple, cucumber, frozen banana, lemon juice)
Apple

Afternoon
Steamed veggies, roasted potatoes
Pretzels

Evening
Mixed nuts
Cocktails at the Ritz. But lest you (we) think all Ritzes are created equal, know they are not. My friend Cheryl and I have a wonderful holiday tradition of having cocktails at one of the swanky New York hotel bars. We've been to the Plaza, the Palace, the St. Regis and the Peninsula. Last year, we went to and loved the Ritz on Park Avenue South. Seemed logical that the Ritz Battery Park would be a safe deviation from midtown. It wasn't. The staff was nice enough, but the vibe and service felt tinny and generic. There was no charm or decadence, which was unfortunate.

This, on the heels of a similar dining experience over the weekend. Even though I haven't been blogging as much about food lately, you know I like my restaurants and sweets. It gives me infinite pleasure and satisfaction. So I looked at an opportunity to dine uptown, somewhere near Lincoln Center, as a fun and creative challenge. I researched and inquired and landed on A Voce in the Time Warner Center. But it was not great, not at all. The pasta was lovely. But the rest of the food was just okay. Our server clearly just wanted us to be done so he could get on with his Saturday night. And it was just the most unspecial dining experience I've had in a long time. Thank god I'm going to mom's this weekend, where I'll get homemade cooking... and cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment