Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Will there be a Parisian dream pad?

So, I had a good day of apartment hunting. An exhausting day. But I guess since I’m trying to decide between three apartments, I’m in good shape.

The day was cold and rainy, not exactly inspiring, but I trudged along with the real estate agent and an Ogilvy HR person, both of whom were super. Since we made the rounds to 11 apartments, I won’t bore you with the blow-by-blow. But, of the 11 places:

• Seven were on the right bank, three were on the left bank, and one was on the Ile St Louis. (Oh, if only that space had had a better layout, I would be living in the epicenter of Paris!)
• Five were walk-ups, the other had lifts.
• One was especially enormous, three were too sad to contemplate; a top-contender isn’t available until April 8; and all the others were okay, but eclipsed by my top three choices.

I’m basically trying to decide between a magical top-floor space that’s like living in a little treehouse above Paris (Look! You can see the Pompidou Centre from that window! Look! Le Sacre Coeur is out that one!); a huge one-bedroom that has more space than I would know what to do with (along with a comfy couch and flat-screen tv that’s bigger than anything I’ll ever own); and a cool, but somewhat dingy apartment (it has a loft, overlooks a courtyard and is owned by a New Yorker) in the Marais, my dream neighborhood.

Alas, nothing was perfect but to have three good options is not too shabby. I’m going to sleep on it and let the agent know first thing in the morning what my preferences are, and then we'll take it from there. I will be happy with any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment